Saturday 10 November 2012

Review: Laughter (2012)


First I´d like to thank Adam Dunning for providing a screener.
Joey is a confused and tortured teen! When losing his mother, who he was very close with; it drives him to the edge. His father blames him for his mother's death. A group of bullies from school torture him because of his obsession with clowns. As graduation approaches, Joey and some friends plan a prank on a group of classmates during their last get together. The prank goes wrong leading to tragic accident! The group takes an oath of silence and agrees not to say anything! Six months down the road, the group begins getting hunted down one by one. Evil begins with a laugh. Laughter is written and directed by Adam Dunning. The acting is pretty decent, the camera work and editing is pretty good. One thing struck me as weird, it is a scene where the killer holds a man prisoner and his voice sounds really weird, I think they´ve added it in postproduction, but in all other scenes his voice sounds normal. Now this is one of those slashers where we get witty one-liners from the killer and I´m not a big fan of that. The pacing is pretty good even if I thought it could have used some editing. I had some technical problems with the audio, some of it was pretty loud and I had to adjust the volume and towards the end some of the dialogue was really hard to hear even if I raised to volume to maximum. There is gore but frankly it wasn´t as graphic that I expected. The fx are all practical and pretty decent. I did like the look of the killer. There is no T & A in this.
This review is based upon a DVD-screener provided by Adam Dunning.
Rating: 3½ out of 7. I have a soft spot for killer clowns and low budget slashers and if you´re also than I´m pretty sure that you´ll enjoy this.

/JL




No comments:

Post a Comment