Tuesday 6 November 2012

Review: My Pure Joy (2011)


First I´d like to thank James Cullen Bressack for contacting me and providing me with a screener.
On the outside Adam (Alexei Ryan)  appears to be a normal teenager, but underneath...his mind has been so rotted by trauma from his past and the gory films he watches, that he has blurred the lines between reality and pretend! This prompts Adam to start killing people in similar ways to films he watches, making sure to put his own little spin on it. My Pure Joy is written and directed by James Cullen Bressack. Good acting, especially from Alexei Ryan who is very good, he gives an impressive performance and really shines/dominates the scenes he´s in. He´s portrays a truly chilling character. it´s nicely shot and edited and it is atmospheric and some scenes a really creepy and I´m not  necessarily speaking of graphic violence but scenes where the facade of Adam is cracking up, you see and realise the madness. The look of the killer is simple but very effective and I think it looks awesome. It´s gory, it ain´t a gorefeast but the gore that there is is very effective and it´s brutal/sadistic stuff. Some scenes are not for the squemish. There is several sexual situations and plenty of T & A in this, including a scene of gratuitous topless nudity from Laura Meadows taking a shower. I must say that Lisa Frantz who plays Adam´s mother Jane is a real hottie but she keeps her clothes on.
This review is based upon a passwordprotected online screener provided by James Cullen Bressack.

Rating: 7 out of 7. I enjoyed this a lot!! It´s well made and horrifying, James Cullen Bressack proves himself yet again to be a very capable writer and director. I must say that 19 year old James Cullen Bressack is quickly establishing himself as one of my favorite directors, he´s very talented and I look forward to see more from him.  I´ll be buying My Pure Joy on DVD and see it again with my friends. This flick gets my highest recommendations!! Check it out, you will not regret it.

/JL



No comments:

Post a Comment