Sunday 17 February 2013

DVD review: The Millennium Bug (2011)


When the Haskin family seeks refuge from Y2K hysteria in the isolated forests of the Sierra Diablos mountains, madness and terror find them there. Abducted by a vicious hillbilly clan, the Haskins fight for survival, but neither they nor the hillbilly Crawfords can comprehend the monstrous nightmare about to erupt from the bowels of the earth. The Millennium Bug is written and directed by Kenneth Cran. The acting is good,  it´s professionally shot and edited and looks freaking fantastic, most of it is shot indoors in a large warehouse. The soundtrack is great! The pacing is good, it pretty much goes non-stop. The sets are fantastic, atmospheric and creepy. The hillbilly clan are a great, incestous and nasty family. I loved their sick and demented family.There are a couple of twists and turns, sure I knew the plotline but wow, I just loved it!  It´s gloriously gory, very nice practical gore fx. The creature fx design is incredibly inventive and ambitious and it is all practical fx. The minature fx work left me stunned and I had to pick up my jaw from the floor several times. Fantastically good stuff on screen here! There is some brief topless female nudity and it´s not of the good kind (you´ll se what I mean).
This review is based upon the region 1 DVD release from Green Apple Entertainment, Inc.
Rating: 7 out of 7. Fantastic!! The Millennium Bug is incredible, an unbelievable achivement by filmmakers working on a small scale budget. This looks fantastic! This just blew me away, the combination of backwoods survival and creature feature is a big winner (I love both genres). I totally convinced that The Millennium Bug will be on my Top Ten of the best movies I´ve seen during 2013 when the time comes to compile that list. This gets my highest recommendations, it´s a must see!

/JL




No comments:

Post a Comment