Saturday 9 February 2013

Review: Cell Count (2012)


First I´d like to thank Todd E. Freeman for providing me with a screener.
Russell Carpenter (Robert McKeehen)  reluctantly admits his wife Sadie (Haley Talbot) into an experimental treatment facility for her life threatening disease. While locked in this prison like surrounding they, along with 6 others, are unknowingly subjected to a cure that might just be worse than the disease itself. Cell Count is written and directed by Todd E. Freeman. The acting is decent, the camerawork is good and editing is decent (some of the editing is so and so). I loved the soundtrack. The pacing is somewhat slow but I liked it as it builds up the tension, the setting is excellent and helps to add to a creepy atmosphere, it has a bizarre almost David Cronenbergesque feeling.  There are a couple things that I´m not so pleased with but I won´t go into any details due to potential spoilers but it has nothing to do with technical aspects of Cell Count. There is some gore, nicelooking practical fx and some decent computer rendered fx but I won´t go into any details as I´m then at risk of delivering spoilers. There´s no T & A in this.
This review is based upon password protected online screener provided by the director.
Rating: 5½ out of 7. I enjoyed Cell Count but in my opinion it could have been even better if the filmmakers had chosen to do some things a bit differently but this is of course a matter of personal preference. Cell Count is well worth checking out and a sequel is on the way.

/JL

No comments:

Post a Comment