Monday 26 August 2013

Review: Rough Cut (2013)


First I´d like to thank Chris Leto for contacting me and providing me with a screener.
An Independent film director on the edge loses his funding and his marriage. In order to fulfill his destiny with no budget, he must set the scenes and abduct his cast. Film director or homicidal maniac? Castings open and he is the man to get you into the final cut! Rough Cut is written by Jeremy Westrate and directed by Chris Leto. Good acting from most of the cast and  epecially from Mike Duffau. The camerawork and editing is for the most part good but during some of the kills I´d prefered other angles, now most of the action happen off camera. The soundtrack is nice. The pacing is pretty good but the running time exceeds two hours and in my opinion some of the scenes lasts too long. It´s pretty nasty flick as there´s an abundance of sadism, torture, degradation, forced cannibalism and necrophilia.  There is some gore but let me tell you Rough Cut could have been a real gorefeast, now there are both off and on screen kills/torture but mostly it isn´t too graphic as most things are kept off camera. One can only imagine what an accomplished makeup fx artist such as, just as an example, Marcus Koch could have done witch a script like this as there is plenty of opportunities to push the boundries of "good taste". There´s topless nudity from three actresses in this including Heather Orta who provides some gratuitous topless nudity.
This review is based upon a online screener provided by Chris Leto.
Rating: 5½ out of 7. Rough Cut is a unexpectedly dark, grim and mean-spirited little flick. It has a couple flaws but this is pretty nice serial killer flick that pulls no punches as it is remorseless and nasty in its tone. There are definitely some great and memorable scenes, right now I wish I could mention some of them but as I have a policy of trying to keep my reviews free from spoilers I won´t divulge anything. If you´re a fan of serial killer flick and dark and nasty horror then Rough Cut is for you!

/JL

No comments:

Post a Comment